Inhalt des Dokuments
Topics for Bachelor and Master Theses
Most topics are based
on algorithms and complexity questions for NP-hard problems with a
special focus on parameterized algorithmics. Application domains
include networks (biological, social, ...), graph-based data
clustering, graph modification problems, voting systems, and other
combinatorial problems. See
for past bachelor and master theses supervised and
for recent publications by our group.
Procedure for Getting a Topic
Due to the high demand for topics, we set up the following procedure for applying to a topic / thesis supervision.
- Write an e-mail to akt-lehre
'at' lists.tu-berlin.de containing the following information roughly
2-3 weeks before you want to start with your thesis:
- What is your prior knowledge, that is, which courses offered by us did you take? (For master we recommend successful participation of "Advanced Algorithmics" or similar; for bachelor "Algorithmentheorie", formerly titled "Grundlagen der Algorithmik")
- Do you prefer a purely theoretical work or do you want a programming part? Note that we are a theory group, so any thesis will have a significant theoretical part.
- What are your preferences concerning problems to work on? Graph problems, matrix problems, problems from social choice, ...?
- After we receive your e-mail with the above information, we will suggest to you a topic that fits your preferences. As these topics are oftentimes freshly generated from our research and as we are eager to find something that fits your interests well, this may take 1-2 weeks.
- Once you receive a topic proposal and if you want to take this topic, you have 2 weeks to write a brief summary (2 - 3 pages) containing an initial literature research (what is known?) and first ideas on how to approach the topic. We do not expect you to come up with full solutions / algorithms at this stage, but you should try and demonstrate your understanding of the topic. If you do not want to take this topic, no hard feelings, but please tell us as soon as possible.
- We evaluate your summary. Depending on the outcome we start the supervision.
Currently we cannot supervise Bachelor or Master theses of students outside of Berlin.
We do not offer any internships and will not respond to corresponding emails.